Fire Protection

The Chisago City Fire Department is a 25-member volunteer fire department serving an area of about 26 square miles covering Chisago City and Chisago Lakes Township.  The department has mutual-aid agreements with Lindstrom, Forest Lake, and Wyoming. 

 Do you offer a key lock box program for businesses?

The Chisago City Fire Department offers a lock box program for your home or business and is administered by the Lakes Area Police Department. When firefighters or police officers respond to alarms at buildings that are locked and unattended, they can quickly gain access to the building with a lock box key. Public safety personnel will be the only ones who will have access to the box.  Lock boxes are mounted on the exterior of the building near entrances. Property owners place the keys for homes or businesses in the safe, and in the event of an emergency, access to your home or business would be available. The lock box will help eliminate unnecessary and expensive property damage to doors, locks, and windows. Similar to a small safe, they are fire and vandal proof.  Applications for this program are  found under the "Permits & Forms" section of this website or at Chisago City Hall. Please call 651-257-4162 if you have any questions.

 How do I apply to become a firefighter?

Persons interested in becoming a member must be at least 18 years old, live in the Chisago Fire District, and should fill out an application found under the "Permits & Forms" section of this website or at Chisago City Hall.

 How do we request a donation from your charitable gaming fund?

Please download the Charitable Gambling Donation Request form under our "Permits & Forms" section of this website. Follow the directions for guidelines and deadlines and mail or drop off at Chisago City Hall.

 Is a permit required for a recreational fire?

No, nor do we require any advance notification.  However, there are some regulations that must be followed.
  • Recreational fires must be at least 20 feet away from any structure and from the property line. They must be confined inside of a fire ring no larger than 3 feet in diameter and constructed of non-combustible materials, such as mounded earth, large rocks, concrete blocks or bricks.
  • There are no time limits on recreational fires; however, if complaints are received because of noise or smoke odors, a police officer or a fire department officer can order that your fire be extinguished.
  • Clean fire logs, small twigs, untreated and unpainted lumber scraps can be burned. Wood pallets may be burned if broken up small enough to fit within the required 3-foot fire ring.
  • There are fuels that are not allowed.  Demolition debris, industrial solid waste, hazardous materials of any kind, oil, rubber, plastic, railroad ties, shingles, tarpaper, insulation including electrical wiring insulation, composition boards, sheetrock, painted materials or paint filters, garbage/rubbish, cut trees or branches and other yard waste materials, chemically treated wood or any other materials that would give off a toxic smoke irritant to nearby residents. CLEAN MATERIALS ONLY SHOULD BE USED!
  • An adult knowledgeable with first aid fire fighting equipment must be in attendance at all times that the fire is burning and until it has ceased smoldering.
  • There must be some form of fire fighting equipment readily available at the burn site. This may be as simple as a charged garden hose with shut-off nozzle. It may also be a portable fire extinguisher appropriate for Class A fires, with at least a 10 lb. classification.
  • Recreational fires should never be attempted in windy conditions, or if the weather is or has been very dry. A person who starts and fails to control or extinguish a fire, whether on owners property or on the property of others, before the fire endangers or causes damage to the property of another person or the State, is guilty of a misdemeanor and that person is responsible for the repair and cost of other people's property.

 When does your fire relief association meet?

The membership of the Chisago City Fire Department Relief Association meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM at the Chisago City Fire Station. Any person(s) or group wishing to attend this open meeting should contact the Relief Association President by the 1st Friday of the month so as to be added to the guest list. The Relief Officers and ex-officio members including the City Administrator, City Mayor, Fire Chief and City Finance Director can meet quarterly to discuss and vote on investments, pension and general Relief business. These meetings are also open to the public and dates will be posted by the President of the Association at Chisago City Hall and the Chisago City Post Office. 

 Where do I apply for an open burning permit?

You may apply for open burning permits on the MN DNR's website

 Why are the sirens sounding?

Chisago County sounds sirens in case of tornado warnings, severe thunderstorm warnings (winds in excess of 75 m.p.h.), nuclear attacks, and hazardous materials spills.  The siren makes a steady wail lasting two to three minutes.  Chisago City's Fire Department also sounds a siren for fire calls between the hours of 7 AM and 10 PM.  The siren makes a cycle of ten wails each lasting about ten seconds.